Thursday, April 16, 2015

I am irritated today...

Hey team!

Happy Friday's eve! Today's blog is going to be a little different. I totally need to vent to you guys today... I had a conversation with someone I know the other day about life and health and I found myself PISSED when I hung up the phone...

So the conversation started with her asking me how I was doing it. She wanted to know what I had done in my life to make the changes I had. She wanted to know what my diet entailed. She basically wanted the ins and outs of my game plan for weight loss.

I basically summed it up for her. I let her know that it took me having an internal moment with myself to commit to a change. I told her that I had a COMPLETE meltdown and finally made the choice. I told her how I spend Saturday's at various farmers markets and spend a couple hours on Sunday meal prepping. I also let her know that I had to retrain myself to not go with the "I'm too tired to workout today" option. I told her it won't be easy. I told her it would suck at times and that the first week is a bitch. I told her that with dedication, she can do this.

All of those things are true. This isn't easy. This does suck. I did have to retrain myself. I do meal prep. With dedication, this is doable. 

She proceeded to sing me a song about how stressed she is with work and how she's been waking up tired. (I'm the WRONNNNNGGG person to complain to about waking up for work... but I digress...) She told me how when she gets off work she's tired and wants to relax and not work out. She told me that she gets bored with food and that meal prep isn't an option because she won't eat it. She told me how she hurt her ankle a year ago and that the doctors told her she had limited workout options. The list went on for what felt like forever.

Now, while it looks like I am talking a boat load of shit, I'm not. I don't judge her for any of these things going on, but I also don't have a lot of sympathy for someone who is constantly complaining about her weight and health, but who isn't willing to do anything about it. I told her exactly what I write all the time, "THIS WILL NOT HAPPEN ON IT'S OWN." You will NOT be able to sit around and lose weight and get healthy. I am willing to help anyone, but please, don't come at me with a laundry list of reasons why you can't do the things I'm telling you work. I feel like that's like asking me if you should wear the blue dress or the red dress, I say blue and you go with red. THEN WHY DID YOU ASK!?



A lot of my frustration comes from how I was raised. I come from a very unique household. There is no "I CAN'T" where I come from. There are no excuses where I come from. That is part of why I was so depressed and frustrated with myself before I started my journey. I had fallen into the "I can't" mode and had started making excuses for myself. NO MORE, I SAY! NO MORE!

You might think that it is insanely insensitive of me to add that the doctors had told her she would have limited workout options to the excuse list. Well, I am NOT sorry for that. I believe doctors are miracle workers and that this world would be doomed with out them...BUT... they do not tell me what I can and can't do. Yes, sometimes and often an injury will change someones life to the point where they can't do the things they used to anymore. Sometimes doctors are right when they say that you won't be able to do what you used to be able to. At that point, all you can do is TRY. Do NOT give up because of that!  I also believe that it has a lot to do with the person. The person has to want to get better, stronger and possibly prove the doctors wrong. Now, before you think I'm a complete heartless biotch, let me explain.

My mom is a polio survivor. Polio attacked her legs, she had 11 surgeries by the time she was almost 13. She was told she would NEVER walk.

Welllll guess what?! She took the crutches she was using to walk, broke them, threw them in a creek and taught herself to walk. This wasn't an injury, this was POLIO. And she beat the shit out of it.  She is now a bartender and I don't think ever in my life I have heard her say "I can't." Hopefully that clears up why "I can't"ers and excuse makers really get my blood boiling. 


A LONG TIME AGO: MY MAMA AND ME GETTING OUR DANCE ON 

MY MAMA'S FOOT PRINTS IN THE SAND

NOT ONLY WALKING, BAR TENDING!! 

So, if you think something is holding you back, try to be stronger than it. If you want to do something, BELIEVE in yourself! TELL YOURSELF THAT YOU CAN, NOT THAT YOU CAN'T. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do something. Especially yourself. Don't let YOU hold you back from being a better you. It takes dedication and patience for this process, and with those two things you CAN'T fail.

I'm sorry if this post came off a little rough around the edges. I just want everyone to be the best they can be and no let anything hold them back.

Also, if you're reading this and are in the giving mood - please donate what you can to my friend Arthur! He was paralyzed after we graduated high school by a robber with a gun. There is now technology that can get him walking and he needs our help to get it! PLEASE DONATE!

DONATE HERE: http://www.gofundme.com/iwillwalk?fb_action_ids=1086598344687220&fb_action_types=og.shares

Don't worry, Be happy,
KGreen

1 comment:

  1. Stay strong Katie...That sucking sound you hear is inner strength and fortitude. Your fans are proud and rooting for you.

    M<uch Love,

    Mark in Napa

    ReplyDelete